Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Obligatory New Years Post

Hello everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone for continuing to follow my blog. It truly does mean a lot to me for people to take an interest in my life and in what I have to say.

So what do I want to do differently in the new year? The biggest thing is that I want to be myself. There have been things in my life I felt like I've needed to hide from the world. One of those is CMT. I'm really not sure how I feel like I've been hiding it, because everyone can see it and it's quite obvious, but I guess I'll just try to be more open with it.

Next is the fact that this year is the year where I will have to "grow up" significantly. In May, I will graduate and move on to grad school and I will probably have to buy a new car soon as the one that parents gave me is on its last leg. It's crazy to see my undergrad friends picking jobs, some close to home and some halfway across the world. It's kinda scary actually. I'm certainly not saying anything profound here, but it is all new for me. And this is just scratching the surface.

And then there is the fear that I hold in my heart about my CMT. I've had surgery on one foot and it has been such a remarkable change in my life. I'm so excited to have surgery on the other foot as soon as time permits, but I am still terrified for the future. CMT is so unpredictable that I really have no way to picture the future of my life. Will my mobility suddenly get worse? Or will the damage stop and I'll stay exactly how I am for the rest of my life?

At the same time, I always need to remind myself, and maybe you need reminded of this as well, but CMT does not define our lives. I continue to believe that I will do great things despite the fact I can't run, can't climb mountains, and can't dance to save my life.

So in closing, I want to wish anyone reading this a Happy New Year. I hope for the best for all of you in every aspect of your life, especially your health. And if you ever want to take advice from a very unwise, naïve, college kid, hear this: be honest with people. Call someone you trust and tell them the deepest, darkest secret. It is so hard to do, but you will be surprised how well people react. I was.

Happy New Year!

Joey

3 comments:

  1. yup CMT make our future unpredictable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey do not waste time on worrying! Your young and handsome and seem very intelligent. The surgeries may do what you need. Stay active as much as possible and dream about what you can do with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Call someone you trust and tell them the deepest, darkest secret. It is so hard to do, but you will be surprised how well people react. I was." Couldn't be happier I was one of those people for you. :) So proud of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete